Sunday 22 March 2015

Mac and Cheese: New Beginnings Chapter 9

Becks' P.O.V

We had been in the new house for 2 months now. Tom, Mason and Paige were settled into school and pre-school, and Angel and Dustin were growing in leaps and bounds. Logan visited every other day to see his babies. Him and his family had settled into their new house as well. Neil had also moved into a small house on the street, and visited almost every day. He had gone back to his job with the secret services, but was sticking with more domestic cases.

I had also RSVP'd to Eliza's wedding, and we had been exchanging emails periodically. My computer binged. A new message. I put Dusty in his jumper,  where he happily reached for the colorful animals and cooed.


I sat at the computer and clicked on the new message:

Hi Becks!


How are you? The wedding is getting so close, I'm so excited. I picked out the bridesmaid dresses today. I attached a pic of yours, the others look exactly the same but are shorter.
What do you think of the color?

Love, Eliza.



I double clicked the image file to download it to my computer. I opened the file. The dress was a strapless, baby blue, floor length gown with a crossover bodice and sweetheart neckline. It also had a golden beaded belt around the waist. I smiled. It was so Eliza.

I hit reply.

Dear Eliza,


The dress is beautiful! I can tell you picked it out. I'm getting excited too! I'm booking my ticket tomorrow!
See you soon!

Love, Becks.



As I hit the send button, Tom, Mason and Paige came in the house. "Hi mom!" Tom said as he passed me, tossing his book bag on the floor. Mason followed and did the same. Paige ran up to me and climbed up on my lap.



"Hi mommy!" She exclaimed excitedly. "We painted pictures in class today, look!" Paige pulled out a piece of paper from her book bag, that was covered in tiny paint handprints.

"Its so pretty! How about we put it up on the wall?" I suggested. Paige's little face beamed with a smile.


"Yes please mommy!" She bounced on my lap. I grabbed some sticky tack from the drawer in the desk, and Paige led me out into the living room.
"Right there!" Paige instructed, pointing to the empty space on the wall where she wanted her picture to be placed. I stuck it to the wall and stepped back.


"Its perfect!" I picked Paige up and hugged her as she giggled.

*bing!* The computer binged again, and I let Paige down to check my email.



Becks,


I knew you would like it! We will go together to get it fitted when you arrive! Did I mention yet how excited I was?
Oh yeah, I forgot to ask...
Are you bringing a date?

Eliza. 



A date. I instantly thought of Neil. But were we dating? Since we kissed two months ago, we had been a bit closer, but we really hadn't talked about what our relationship was. Sure there was the hand holding, cuddling on the couch and the occasional playful kiss on the cheek, but label wise, nothing official. Asking him to take time off work to come with me to my sisters wedding in another country seemed like a big step relationship wise, that I'm not sure either of us are ready to take.



 On the other hand, I could ask Logan to come as my friend, but he has his kids to take care of and I can't take him away from his kids. Also, if I took Logan, who would take care of my kids? I couldn't ask Neil to take time off from his job just to babysit. I leaned forward in my chair and closed my eyes. The whole ordeal was giving me a headache.



To make matters worse, Angel started shrieking through the baby monitor from the nursery where she was taking a nap. Dusty had fallen asleep in his jumper, and I quickly switched off the monitor so not to wake him up, not that it mattered, he could pretty much sleep through anything.



I stood up and made my way upstairs to check on Angel, who I could still hear screaming from the ground floor.
"I thought Logan said this house was soundproof" I muttered, following the piercing shrieks of my baby all the way to the nursery door. When I opened the door, I saw her sitting up in her crib, sobbing and screeching. "Its ok Angel, mommy is here now. What's wrong?" I picked her up out of the crib and held her against my chest. She quickly stopped sobbing.



 "You just wanted your momma huh?" I said to her. "Well lets go back downstairs with your brother, shall we?" I shifted her to my hip and went back downstairs, where Dustin was still asleep in his jumper. I sat Angel down in her boppy chair, making sure she could still see me, and sat back down at the computer.


Eliza's email was still on the screen. I hit reply.

Eliza,

I can't wait to try it on! I'm excited too!
On the topic of a date... I'm not sure yet. But I will get back to you on that.

Becks.


I sent the message and almost instantly Eliza replied.

Becks,


Im sure you will find someone ;) If not, I can hook you up with one of my friends, wouldn't want you to come alone!

Eliza xoxo


I chuckled. Eliza, forever the older sister.



I looked over and noticed that Angel was asleep in her boppy. I lifted her out of it, and Dustin, still sleeping, out of his jumper. I carried them both up to the nursery and carefully laid them in their cribs. When I was sure they wouldn't wake up, I tiptoed out of the room and quietly closed the door. Paige was waiting outside.



"Mommy, I'm hungry." She whined, tapping her little foot. I looked at the clock. It was almost 4:30pm, time to start making supper.

"What do you want for supper Paigaroo?" I asked, even though I knew exactly what she was going to say.

"Mac and cheese!" She grinned, bouncing up and down.


"Again?" I asked. "We had mac and cheese last night?"

"Yes again!" She insisted. I laughed.

"Fine, but you have to help me make it!"

We went downstairs to start making mac and cheese, for the third night in a row.


~*~*~*~*~

"Ok guys, time for bed." Tom and Mason were playing video games in the living room.

"But moooom!" They said in unison.

"No buts! Both of you, to bed! You have school tomorrow!" The boys both grumbled as they shut off the gaming system and went up the stairs to bed.



I walked out into the living room and lay on the couch. My eyes slowly closed. Every time I thought about my date for the wedding, the headache came back. After I had married Jed, I thought my worrying about dating and who to bring to parties was over. Never had it even crossed my mind that He wouldn't be here with me.



 I looked at the small framed picture of him and I that I kept on the end table. I didn't want to at first, but Neil insisted that I put it up. He didn't think it was healthy for me to try and forget Jed completely, and argued that Tom and Mason should at least have one picture of their father to look at.



Neil. He had been so good to me and my kids. I couldn't have asked for a better friend. He understood loss in a way that Logan never could, and never pushed me to do anything I didn't want to do, unless it was to my benefit. He would make a great boyfriend. I looked back at the picture of Jed, and the headache returned. I dont know if I will ever be ready to move on.


I sat up when I heard the front door open. Getting up from the couch, I saw Neil in the porch, taking off his jacket.

"Hey. Sorry im here so late, I just got home." He said quietly. I smiled and gave him a hug.

"Its alright. The kids are all asleep now, do you want to stay for a bit?"


"Of course!" Neil replied. "Do you have any food? I haven't eaten since lunch."  I laughed

"Sure, if you don't mind having mac and cheese."

"Again?" Neil chuckled "Why not."

~*~*~*~*~

Neil finished eating and we walked together to the living room. Neil flopped down on the couch, and I looked down at him, not noticing my face forming a small frown.
Neil looked at me, concerned.
"What's wrong?" He asked, motioning for me to lie down with him.


I lay with my head on his chest and closed my eyes.
"Neil, what are we?"
Neil raised an eyebrow at my question.

"What do you mean?" He asked. I raised my head to look him in the eyes.


"What I mean is, are we just friends, or are we... more than that?"
Neil smiled.

"I would like to think we are more than that... That is, if you would like to think that too?"
I smiled back.

"Yeah. That would be nice."
I thought I felt Neil let out a relieved sigh, and I lay my head back on his chest.


"On that note, how would you feel about going to my sisters wedding in Monte Vista with me in a few weeks? I know its kinda sudden and you have work and-"
Neil cut me off.

"That sounds amazing. Don't worry about my work, they owe me some vacation time anyways. I would love to go with you."

I lifted my head again and smiled at him. "Its a date." I said playfully.

"Its a date." Neil leaned forward and pecked me on the lips.



 I lay my head on his chest again, and found this time when I closed my eyes, I fell asleep.

~*~*~*~*~

When I woke up, Neil was gone, and so was my headache. I stretched and walked over to the computer and opened my email.


Eliza,

I thought you might like to know that I will not be needing your matchmaking services this time. I have a date for your wedding!

Can't wait!

Becks.

~*~*~*~*~

Woohoo! New post!
I'm really happy I was able to get this one to you guys as quick as I did :D
Lets make this a regular thing, ok?   

The next few posts are going to be a bit different, as they will be wedding posts! I hope you all will like them as much as I do!

Thanks for reading, you guys are all the greatest  

~Amiee

1 comment:

  1. Omg yesss, I'm so happy~ Although, I feel like this is gonna end badly since Logan/Becks give off that "endgame couple" sort of vibe-- but still, I'm gonna enjoy this dose of Neil/Becks while it laaaaasts :'DD

    ReplyDelete